Monday, January 31, 2011

Get an Education

The arts are alive and well in America's public schools. How do I know? Witness this priceless video from PS22 in Staten Island, birthplace of my wife and three out of seven original cast members of the Jersey Shore. These cute little guys do quite a cover of Ariel Pink's "Round and Round," my #3 song of 2010. This is America, people, and the President says these kids are going to win us the future one day. If the PS22 chorus is any indication, the future looks mighty bright indeed.



While I'm on this positive educational note, check out this documentary from 2006 that I happened to catch on Cambridge Community Television (CCTV9) last night. It's a very thought-provoking and challenging look at misogyny, homophobia, masculinity, and race in hip-hop. Oh, the things you watch when you don't have cable. See rappers like Mos Def and Busta Rhymes squirm as filmmaker Byron Hurt tries to get them to discuss the unfortunate and oft-overlooked prevalence of these destructive themes in hip-hop culture. The film was an eye-opening and sobering reminder for me as a fan of some of the social consequences of music that I love to listen to, and it's definitely given me something to thing about until they air a documentary next week on consumerism and the environment or the dangers of genetically modified food. Fight the power!

2 comments:

  1. I haven't watched the documentary yet, but here is some words of wisdom from 2003 most famous chorus:

    Fifty Cents
    In the Club

    You can find me in the club, with a bottle full of champagne, probably. Girls, I'm bringing ecstasy if you guys are into taking illegal substances. FYI I'm also into having sex, but strictly the kind that is neither loving nor meaningful. So when you arrive, come and give me a hug if you don't mind me rubbing your genitals while you do so.

    *Orchestra hit, Orchestra hit* *Orchestra hit, Orchestra hit,* *Orchestra hit, Orchestra hit*

    ReplyDelete